Feasibility of Quantum Glass Batteries

I’m intrigued with Quantum Glass Battery technology as an investment opportunity, but I don’t have the technical expertise to understand if they are feasible or not. Will they be, as they say, always 30 years away?

What I can say is that quantum glass batteries, also called “the forever battery,” promise to change energy storage. The primary proponent of the concept, until his passing this year, was John B. Goodenough, who essentially invented the Lithium battery in 1980.

The batteries use quantum properties and have higher energy densities than traditional batteries. They could last up to 150 years, charge in a minute, and power EVs for up to a thousand miles.

They don’t explode, they are more compact, more efficient, and operate in extreme heat.

Panasonic is supposedly partnering with Tesla to develop this tech. Any advice?

2 Likes

Thanks for the very interesting post. Just a friendly reminder that investment advice isn’t encouraged. Welcome to the forum and looking forward to further discussion on this topic!

I hadn’t previously heard of Quantum Glass Batteries and assumed they were still in the conceptual or experimental stage. After some preliminary research, it appears progress is being made. The timeline for commercialization is difficult to predict due to uncertainties (unknown, unknowns) that are not yet fully understood. It seems that one particular challenge is the difficulty of maintaining quantum states at room temperatures, which currently limits the technology’s practical applications.

But in general terms, this technology appears promising. Its eventual impact on the markets, should it become commercially viable, will be interesting to monitor. However, as per Ian’s recommendation, given the unpredictability of emerging technologies, financial advice, especially regarding specific stock picks, is probably best avoided. But you could set up a system to monitor developments and then share new information on platforms like this forum with other members who are also interested in tracking developments in Quantum Glass Batteries.

For instance, you could set up Google search alerts for terms like ‘quantum batteries’ and follow thought leaders in this field on LinkedIn. Just remember to cross-reference any news with credible and scientific sources.

And tools like ChatGPT, Perplexity, and Bard are AI-driven platforms useful for research and for simplifying complex articles. Again, just be sure to corroborate information from multiple sources, as no single tool is infallible.

Here’s a query about quantum batteries I started in Bard that can be continued. And I find Perplexity to be quite useful, as it also provides sources for the information it provides.

Sodium-Ion batteries are the most plausible replacement for lithium-ion. Sodium is close to lithium on the periodic table, and exhibits similar properties. Though lithium currently outmatches sodium in terms of battery range for EV’s, there are other unique advantages to sodium-ion:

-Sodium is abundant and cheaper
-The batteries do not present a fire hazard
-There is no copper, nickel, graphite, or cobalt needed, or other hard-to-com-by elements

Market for Sodium-Ion batteries is expected to be worth over $11 Billion by 2033.

Companies developing commercial sodium-ion batteries include:
-CATL in China is providing automaker Chery with sodium ion batteries
-S-Volt
-French startup Tiamat
-Natron Energy in California
-Faradian in the UK

To store surplus energy from unreliable renewables like wind and solar, gravity batteries offer a novel and promising solution.

The idea is elegantly simple: In times of surplus generation (e.g. windy days) surplus electricity is used to power motors that lift heavy blocks to an elevated platform. Then, when the wind dies down, the motors are switched to generators which are spun by the weight of the blocks as they are slowly lowered back to the ground.

Energy loss is relatively low, however the systems would be very expensive, complex, and maintenance-heavy. They’re also not particularly attractive to look at, so there could be pushback from communities.

Nevertheless, a pretty cool idea.