Bitcoin (BTC) vs. Ethereum (ETH)

There are over 22,000 cryptocurrencies out there.

• Bitcoin was released in 2009 and was designed to be immutable.
  • Its primary goal was to be a global currency and store of value.
  • The Bitcoin blockchain sends coins called Bitcoins on its network and has a fixed supply.
  • Ethereum and networks like it were designed to do things that the Bitcoin network can’t do or didn’t want to do.
  • This includes things such as smart contracts and decentralized applications.
  • Most of these networks are designed to be open, publicly verifiable, and of high security grade.
  • They are also designed to be decentralized, providing open access around the world.

Distinguishing Bitcoin from Ethereum:

PURPOSE:
Bitcoin: Digital currency and store of value.
Ethereum: Platform for smart contracts and decentralized applications.

TECH:
Bitcoin: Primarily uses proof-of-work (PoW).
Ethereum: Transitioning from PoW to proof-of-stake (PoS).

SUPPLY:
Bitcoin: Fixed supply of 21 million coins.
Ethereum: No fixed supply; inflationary.

USE CASES:
Bitcoin: Transactional and store of value.
Ethereum: Diverse applications like DeFi and NFTs.

COMMUNITY:
Bitcoin: Focused on security and maintenance.
Ethereum: Larger community with varied innovations.

ADOPTION:
Bitcoin: Recognized as digital gold and widely adopted.
Ethereum: Known for DeFi and NFTs, used for fundraising.

2 Likes

@David-CKC-Fund which of these two is more suitable for everyday transactions in the long term?

2 Likes

I’ll chime in on that if I may. Ethereum can be a bit more volatile price-wise. However its faster transaction times and lower fees would probably make it the preferred coin for smaller, everyday transactions.

That being said, some would argue that Bitcoin’s name recognition and the security of its blockchain make it the stronger option. I think, though, that the fees and transaction times will be the determining factor.

What are the advantages of investing in a crypto fund, and what should I be cautious about?

1 Like

Good question @Ashley. Short answer: Probably Ethereum but not directly. Longer answer: For everyday transactions, stablecoins pegged to real-world assets tend to be the top type of cryptoasset. Of those, most the highest-caliber and highest-volume solutions are built on top of the Ethereum network. In my view, while Bitcoin has proved to be a remarkable store of value, its relatively long block processing times can make it prohibitive for many kinds of “everyday” transaction use cases.

1 Like

@Nancy_Muellerhof That’s ultimately two questions: 1) advantages of crypto and 2) advantages of funds.

1. Considering all the recent hype, scams, and shady players in the crypto world, many people are understandably wary. However, it’s important to think about how digital assets fit into the broader world of managing wealth, minimizing risks, and traditional finance. Digital assets, like cryptocurrencies, can act as a safeguard when the market gets crazy, and they provide a way to spread out risk because they don’t move in sync with stocks, real estate, and other typical assets. They can be a key part of investment portfolios, offering potential for gains while limiting losses. By investing in different types of digital assets, diversifying within the crypto market, and using strategies like keeping funds offline and using short-term government bonds for cash reserves, investors can reduce the risks tied to market downturns, financial institution troubles, and inflation.

2. Doing all of this properly takes a whole lot of effort. The benefit of funds as “done-for-you” solutions are heightened in an emerging asset class, which is constantly evolving, and which has many unknowns and variables. Risk mitigating is a huge component – funds can conduct the grinding work of making investment decisions based on extensive research, rather than solely based on popularity and demand, helping to properly manage volatility, reduce the risk of fraud, and mitigate the effects of potential bubbles. The right fit of potential managed solutions – including separately managed accounts, third-party funds, in-house funds, and otherwise –ultimately come down to unique goals and priorities on a person-to-person and institution-to-institution level.

For more info on both topics, check out an article that I co-authored with @chainblx27: Increasing Numbers of Investors and Portfolio Managers Wonder Whether Crypto Assets Should Be Included in an Investment Portfolio.

1 Like